– Treating chronic back pain with an alternative to pills and surgery
Back pain is one of the most common reasons that people visit a doctor, or miss work. Back pain can be a dull, constant pain or a sudden, sharp, or shooting pain.
There are two types back pain: acute or short-term pain that lasts from a few days up to a couple of weeks. Self-care usually helps it resolve on its own in a few days and there is no permanent loss of function. Chronic back pain is defined as pain that persists for more than 12 weeks, even after the initial injury or underlying cause has been treated.
Dr Janice Simmonds-Fisher is the chief executive officer and founding director of Bio-Regeneration Integrated Medical Centre. She says chronic back pain can be debilitating and have a significant impact on a person’s life.
Back pain is chronic if it persists for three months or more. It can come and leave, bringing temporary relief followed by frustration. “Dealing with chronic back pain is especially difficult if you don’t know the cause,” said Dr Simmonds Fisher.
The conventional management of chronic back pain includes long-term pain medications, steroid injections and physical therapy. Surgery is also an option. Dr Simmonds Fisher indicated that traditional treatments like medication, physical therapy and surgery may not be effective at treating the underlying causes for chronic back pain.
She recommends Platelet Fibrin Therapy (PRF injections), a relatively new option that has shown promising outcomes in treating back pain.
“Platelet rich fibrin (PRF), injections are used to relieve pain and promote healing throughout the body. “PRF is a platelet concentrate derived from the blood of a patient, and is thought to have many benefits in terms of relieving pain and promoting recovery,” Dr Simmonds Fisher said.
She said that the main ones they target are structural abnormalities in the spine caused by back injuries, accidents, and ageing, which can result in arthritis, slipped disks, and pinched nervouss.
“There are repair factor in the blood which creates a scab if there is a cut or broken vessel, or damaged tissue.” We can activate these repair factors and place them in areas where healing is delayed to promote faster healing,” Dr Simmonds Fisher said.
“Sometimes, the area was not healing because of infection, scar tissues, poor blood circulation, bad diets, chronic illness and chronic inflammatory diseases.” She added that the repair factors would reduce scarring, improve blood flow and improve healing signals.
The PRF injections may offer many benefits to people who suffer from chronic pain. They are also an option for those who want to relieve pain and discomfort throughout the body.
It is important to remember that the effectiveness and safety of PRF injections can vary depending on each individual and the condition being treated. It is always best to consult a healthcare professional prior to starting any new treatment regimen.
“The procedure is not only revolutionary, but it also treats pain. It can stop degenerative processes that cannot be cured by any other treatment. Non-surgical treatments are available for patients who cannot use painkillers due to side effects. Braces and painkillers are not effective in relieving pain for a long time. Many patients can return active lifestyles with minimal downtime and low side effects, Dr Simmonds Fisher said.
The latest t Global Burden of Disease Study published at the end of 2012. has highlighted the immense global burden of low-back pain. Low back pain, which was previously ranked 105th out of 136 conditions in the previous study, is now the leading disability cause globally, ahead of over 290 other conditions.
ONE OF THE BENEFITS FROM PRF THERAPY FOR BACK PAIN IS:
* Long-lasting pain relief: Unlike other pain treatments, which may only provide temporary pain relief, PRF therapy can provide pain relief that lasts up to a full year. This is because the procedure targets both the cause and the symptoms of the pain.
* Non-invasive : PRF therapy is a minimally invasive treatment that does not require any surgery. The procedure can be performed in a doctor’s office or outpatient facility, and patients are usually able to go home that same day.
* Low risk. PRF therapy injections have a low risk and do not carry the same risks as surgery or long-term medication use. There is a very small risk of infection and bleeding, but it is rare.
* Improved mobility – Chronic back pain can severely limit a person’s ability to move around and perform daily tasks. By reducing inflammation and pain, PRF therapy injections help improve mobility. Patients can resume normal activities.
* Customisable Treatment: PRF therapy can be tailored to the needs of each patient. The treatment can be tailored for the specific area in the back that is causing pain, improving the effectiveness of treatment.
* Cost-effective – PRF therapy injections can be a cost-effective option for chronic back problems. The procedure is less costly than surgery and provides long-term pain relief. This reduces the need for further treatments.
BioRegeneration Integrated Medicine Centre specializes in Platelet Fibrin Therapy, using your own platelets. This treatment is performed locally by Dr Simmonds Fisher, who has pioneered the regenerative medicine field in Jamaica for more than a decade. It provides a life-improving therapy that enjoys a success rate of over 90% in our population.
BioRegeneration can be found at 15 Haining Road in Kingston. You can reach them at 876-552-2484. For any questions, email [email protected] or visit www.kingstonpainrelief.com.
We understand how important it is to choose a chiropractor that is right for you. It is our belief that educating our patients is a very important part of the success we see in our offices.