This article was originally published on Blue Ribbon Hemp. To view the original article and recipe, click here.
Strawberry and peach açai bowl mixed with hemp hearts, grass-fed collagen protein, macadamia milk and blue agave nectar and garnished with fresh berries, bananas, peaches, cocoa nibs, chia seeds, pistachios, desiccated coconut and a dash of honey
DAIRY-FREE / GLUTEN-FREE / OVO-PESCATARIAN / VEGAN / VEGETARIAN
Total: 15 minutes
Preparation: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 bowls
Allergens: tree nuts
Açai bowls are just awesome. Creamy, cold, crunchy, fruity, very nutritious and extremely versatile, what is there not to love?
They’re most commonly eaten for breakfast, but can also be a great snack for that extra boost of energy you need in the middle of the day, or even as a dessert. You can use any type of frozen fruit for the base, any type of protein powder your taste buds and dietary restrictions prefer, choose from a wide variety of different milks and finally top off with an infinite amount of fruits, nuts, seeds, grains, syrups and Side dishes you can imagine!
Skip the ride to your local breakfast cafe and save a few dollars making this breakfast dessert recipe easy to make at home.
In this recipe, I use pureed açai packets, which can be found in the freezer at most organic, health food, and vegan grocery stores. Creamy macadamia milk is low in calories and has a nutty, floral taste. For me, animal collagen protein is the ultimate blender because it’s tasteless, but still adds body and thickness to the base without leaving an unwanted aftertaste. Collagen protein is also great for building muscle mass, improving skin, and is good for your joints and bones.
Pro tip: Simply add a little CBD oil to this recipe and increase the health aspect even more! Click here for a great CBD oil to drizzle on your acai bowl.
- 3 packs of Sambazon Açai Original Blend Superfruit packs
- 1 frozen banana, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of frozen sliced peaches
- 4 scoops of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolyzate OR protein powder of your choice
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 1 cup of Milkadamia unsweetened vanilla macadamia milk or milk of your choice
- 1+ tablespoon of agave
- 4-5 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and sliced
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon of peeled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa nibs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon honey / agave / maple syrup
1.) Start by gathering all the ingredients you need. The point is to fully set yourself up before making the smoothie base so that once the base is ready all you have to do is assemble the açai bowl (s) and eat them while it is thick and not melted.
2.) Cut the fruits into slices so they’re done! Put aside.
3.) Use a high-speed mixer to puree the frozen fruits, the açai packets, milk, hemp hearts and protein powder (in that order to avoid powder lumps) to a smooth, ice-cream-like, spoonable texture. The frozen fruit may be difficult to process at first, but stick with it! Start with a low setting and continue at the high speed once you feel like a lot of the solids are broken down. Season to taste and adjust to your preferred sweetness with the sweetener of your choice.
4.) Divide the smoothie base into 2 bowls and cover each bowl with half of the cut fruits, blueberries, nuts and seeds. Enjoy immediately!
- Freeze your bowls beforehand so you can enjoy a thick consistency throughout your meal. This is especially important in hotter climates because once you’ve mixed everything up, the melting process is quick!
- A powerful blender is really useful for chopping up hard-frozen fruit and packets of açai, making this recipe deliciously smooth. If you don’t have any, thaw all of your frozen ingredients on the counter for 20-30 minutes before blending so they break down much easier
- As much as this recipe may be exactly cute to me, it may not be for you. Take into account that frozen fruits can vary in their highest fruit flavor and sugars. Tasting as you go will help you get the perfect taste you want.
- If some of the ingredients on this list are hard for you to find, anything you can buy can be customized. Better yet, empty your pantry with all the fruits, nuts, seeds, and toppings you have!
questions and answers
- I only need one serving of this recipe, thoughts? You can cut the ingredients in half, or better yet, save the rest! You can store the bottom in an airtight container or mason jar in the freezer and save it for later. When you’re ready to eat it again, defrost it on the countertop for 20-40 minutes, garnish with your favorite toppings, and enjoy! Alternatively, assemble a bowl, toppings, and everything, freeze in an airtight container, and then store. Thaw on the countertop for 20-40 minutes and enjoy a quick pre-made breakfast with this time-saving tactic!
- Can i do this vegan? Of course you can. Vegan protein powders are widely available either online or in health food stores these days. My personal favorite is chickpea protein because of its mild taste.
- Can I use fresh (ish) fruit? Yes indeed! We don’t throw away overripe bananas, crushed peaches, mushy berries! We freeze them and use them in delicious açai bowls or protein smoothies! Make sure to peel and core any fruit that gets into the blender beforehand.
Related: Ready To Try CBD But Concerned About THC? Click here to learn more about broadband CBD and why it’s the best of both worlds for seniors.