We include products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you buy from links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Bowflex is a company that sells exercise bikes and other exercise bikes. The Bowflex C6 bike allows people to connect with coaches, track their progress, and exercise without disturbing others.
This article takes a closer look at the Bowflex brand and their C6 bike. It also discusses the health benefits and risks of cycling and suggests alternative brands and products that a person might want to try.
Bowflex is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, in the United States.
The company has been manufacturing home fitness equipment since 1986. It is a well-known manufacturer of exercise bikes, treadmills, dumbbells and barbells.
Bowflex aims to help individuals exercise without paying gym membership fees, and the company has designed its products to suit individuals of all fitness levels.
The brand has a 2.4 rating on Trustpilot, with negative reviews indicating customer service and shipping issues. Customers also reported that they found it difficult to follow the assembly instructions because they did not always match the components of the product.
However, according to other reports, Bowflex exercise machines can be helpful when a person is unable to exercise in a gym.
Nautilus, the parent company of Bowflex, has a rating of 1.03 out of 5 and an A rating on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. In addition, Nautilus does not have a BBB accreditation. Customers have also filed over 200 complaints, many of which claimed not to have received their orders. Some people said the company’s exercise bikes were not working properly and causing injuries.
The BBB website states that 222 complaints have been filed in the past 3 years, of which Nautilus has closed 152 in the past 12 months.
The Bowflex C6 bike features:
- a backlit metric LCD console
- an adjustable seat
- Double-sided pedals for easy hold in learn mode
- a device holder for smartphones and tablets
- double water bottle handles
- a weight capacity of 330 pounds (lb)
The bike has the following dimensions:
- Length: 48.7 inches (inches)
- Width: 21.2 inches
- Height: 51.8 in
The Bowflex C6 has 100 levels of resistance that are said to provide a quiet and smooth ride. The company also states it comes with a four-way adjustable handlebar and two 3 lb dumbbells. In addition, people can benefit from the Bluetooth enabled heart rate wrist monitor.
The Bowflex C6 bike comes with:
- a 10-year frame guarantee
- 3 year warranty on mechanical parts
- a 3-year electronics guarantee
- a 1 year labor guarantee
One person can assemble the bike themselves or use the Bowflex home assembly service for a fee. The company also offers a financing plan that allows customers to pay for their bikes in monthly installments.
In addition, the C6 bears the P65 warning label, which means it may contain chemicals that can cause cancer, reproductive harm, and congenital abnormalities.
The Bowflex exercise bikes come with free shipping and a 6 month period JRNY process.
JRNY is the company’s digital fitness platform that offers personalized exercise programs that adapt to the user’s exercise intensity.
This app offers:
- daily training recommendations
- Real-time coaching and help in achieving goals
- Streaming during exercise
- Over 50 travel destinations that you can virtually explore while training
- Music playlists
- unlimited user profiles
JRNY also tracks a person’s milestones and achievements while providing easy navigation without having to scroll down during exercise to view this information.
A person may want to consider the health benefits and risks of indoor cycling before embarking on this type of exercise.
Exercise can be beneficial for a person’s health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that people who perform 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity may have a lower risk of heart disease and stroke.
A 2019 systematic review found that people who eat well and exercise indoor cycling can lower their blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
According to health experts, some health benefits cycling can offer include:
- Less pressure on the joints: Cycling can be a more appropriate sport for people with back pain, arthritis, or damaged joints.
- Muscle building: Cycling is an aerobic exercise. The upright position of the bike and muscle movements in this activity are aimed at the upper body and core.
- Burning calories: Cycling can burn calories, which will help reduce a person’s chances of developing obesity or postmenopausal breast cancer and colon cancer.
- Improved balance: The American Heart Association (AHA) states that this activity may benefit people with obesity or those with stroke. Exercises that improve balance can also help reduce falls and injuries.
A 2017 study looked at the effects of spinning and cycling classes on female middle school students. The researchers found that after 16 weeks, participants experienced a reduction in body fat and increased stamina and muscle strength.
Risks and Security
The CDC states that 31 million adults ages 50 and older do not engage in any physical activity, leading to healthcare costs of $ 117 billion each year.
A 2015 study found that young girls experienced harmful changes in their blood flow after 3 hours of continuous sitting.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists reports that physical activity does not increase the risk of miscarriage, low birth weight, or premature delivery. However, pregnant women may want to see a doctor to learn more about safe exercise during pregnancy.
Other experts recommend that people with heart disease seek medical advice before participating in indoor cycling sessions.
A 2017 study also shows that those who don’t exercise regularly are more likely to experience muscle fatigue from indoor cycling than those who are regularly active.
Individuals interested in using home fitness equipment such as B. Exercise bikes, may want to consider alternative companies to Bowflex, including those listed below.
- NordicTrack: Has been in business since 1975 and offers six exercise bikes, all with a 30-day return policy. Financing plans may also be available for those who wish to pay in monthly installments. Learn more about NordicTrack.
- Keizer: Keizer manufactures indoor bikes, cross trainers, full-body trainers and power racks, among other things. Several of the company’s devices have Bluetooth connectivity that allows users to track their exercise progress.
- adventurer: Advenor sells two foldable exercise machines that those with limited storage space can benefit from. People can also purchase rowing machines, vibration plates, treadmills, and weight benches from the company.
Individuals who enjoy cycling may want to consider other exercise bikes, such as the following.
- Treadmills: These provide suitable forms of low-impact aerobic exercise for individuals of all fitness levels. A person can adjust the speed and incline of the treadmill to suit the intensity of exercise they prefer.
- Rowing machines: Rowing machines offer a full body workout because they target a wide variety of muscle groups. Additionally, they can be beneficial for those looking for low-impact workouts that don’t put a lot of stress on the joints.
- Elliptical trainer: May also be suitable for those who want low-impact workouts as they can use these trainers to climb stairs, walk, or run without putting too much strain on the joints.
Bowflex offers a variety of home fitness equipment for people who do not want to work out in a gym.
The company claims that the C6 bike offers a quiet and smooth ride that is suitable for people who live with other people. The JRNY app, which can be connected to the C6 bike, gives users access to trainer-led exercise programs and helps them achieve their fitness goals.
However, according to online reviews, previous Bowflex customers have reported issues with assembly, shipping, and product safety.
Indoor cycling and other sports offer many health benefits, but they also come with risks. People who are in good health or are recovering from an injury should consider seeing a doctor before starting a new type of exercise.
Please note: Medical News Today does not imply or endorse any guarantee of suitability for any particular purpose. Nobody at MNT has rated these apps for medical accuracy. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved them unless otherwise stated.