DENVER – It was another record breaking hot day in Denver on Wednesday, and more could happen.
Denver International Airport measured the temperature on Wednesday afternoon at 100 degrees, the fifth time that temperatures in Denver have been in the triple digits this year.
Despite the heat and warnings from health experts, it was normal for many Denverites to get their workout in Washington Park.
“I can’t help it,” said Denver’s Brian Hanson after playing basketball with friends. “I just have to go for it and not stay out here too long.”
But being outside can lead to heat-related issues, according to Eric Hill, an emergency doctor at the Medical Center of Aurora.
“Exposure to this type of heat for any length of time is enough to dehydrate you and save you from heat exhaustion or heat stroke,” Hill said.
This is another reason why Hanson was provided with three liters of water and often used the shade to cool off.
Rich Haller and his children also spent the time in the shade of the park.
“It’s extremely hot,” said Haller. “I knew it was going to be hot today, but when we got out of here, it’s a lot hotter than I expected. So we definitely put our sunscreen on and everything before we got down. “
Sunscreen is one of the things Hill suggests when choosing to endure the blazing sun.
“You want to have loose fitting clothes, something that breathes very easily,” said Hill. “You want some quiet time and some kind of shade so you can stay out of the heat. You need to stay hydrated during your outdoor activities. “
Monitoring pets is also vital.
The Dumb Friends League shelter suggests walking dogs sooner or later in the day. If a dog is drooling, gasping heavily, vomiting, or having diarrhea, these could be signs of overheating. In this case, the shelter recommends moving the dog to a cooler place and providing plenty of water.
Finally, the shelter recommends dog owners to do the asphalt test before going for a walk on a hot day. The test requires you to put your bare foot on asphalt and count to seven. If your foot burns by seven seconds, it’s too hot to take the dog out.