We include products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you buy from links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
The Echelon EX-3 Connect is an exercise bike that is suitable for both beginners and experienced athletes. The bike has a tablet holder that allows those who purchase the company’s online membership, Echelon United, to remotely interact with exercise programs.
Echelon Fitness Multimedia claims to have a new approach to fitness. The company says it offers professional, studio-quality exercise that a person can fit into their own schedule at home, with products like:
- Indoor bikes
- Fitness mirror
- rowing machines
By becoming a member of Echelon United, individuals have access to world-class instructors who lead hundreds of daily live classes that can be attended by people with connected fitness equipment such as the Echelon EX-3. Classes are on-demand and one person can also access device-free workouts like Zumba.
The company also offers access to an interactive leaderboard and additional connectivity with other leading fitness apps.
Please note that the author of this article has not tried this product. All information is purely research-based.
Indoor biking or spinning studio courses are popular ways for people to get cardiovascular exercise and pursue their fitness goals. Indoor bikes connected to live classes, such as the Echelon EX-3 Connect, allow participants to enjoy the benefits of a studio class at home.
Research has found that indoor cycling offers various health benefits, especially when a person combines it with a balanced, nutritious diet and weight training. It can help by:
- Improve aerobic capacity
- Lower blood pressure
- Promote weight loss
- Lower cholesterol
- for cardiovascular training without putting too much strain on the joints
Indoor bikes also allow people to enjoy the benefits of exercising at home, including:
- the opportunity to exercise at an appropriate time
- Save time and money
- not weather dependent
Some people may also prefer to cycle indoors if they live in an area where pollution, fog, or forest fires can significantly affect air quality.
The Echelon website states that the Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike is suitable for people of all fitness levels. It has 32 levels of magnetic resistance that can challenge both beginners and experienced athletes. The adjustable seat and handlebars can help people of different shapes and sizes feel comfortable, and the equipment has a maximum user weight of up to 300 pounds (lb).
Online reviewers say the bike is solid and has a well-crafted frame, which, along with its heavy flywheel, makes it a great choice for high-intensity workouts. It doesn’t come with preset workouts or a console, so a person has limited workout options without also purchasing Echelon United membership.
The main features of the Echelon EX-3 include:
- maximum adjustment measurements of:
- Length: 48.8 inches (inches)
- Width: 19.9 in
- Height: 43.7 in
- Access to live and streaming courses as well as virtual tours with Echelon United membership
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Tablet holder between the handlebars, which is suitable for screens up to 12.9 inches.
- Rotation of the tablet holder for off-bike training
- Pedals suitable for sneakers or clip-in bicycle cleats
- 30 days return policy
- 1 year limited parts and labor warranty
The Echelon EX-3 can be purchased online.
A person may want to consider the following key features before purchasing an Echelon EX-3 Connect bike or other indoor exercise bike:
A person should think about what to expect from an indoor bike. For example, competitive athletes looking for an indoor bike for off-season training will likely need a different bike than people taking online fitness classes or just starting their fitness journey.
Cost and guarantee
Exercise bikes can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, so it is wise to weigh budget against needs and preferences before deciding on a product. People can also look for a bike with a warranty period that is sufficient to protect their investment.
How it feels
Comfort is important when a person wants to use their equipment regularly. If an exercise bike is uncomfortable or the resistance levels are sticky and clunky, the person will be less likely to use it.
The easier it is for users to adjust the seat, handlebars, resistance levels, and preset programs, the better the bike is likely to work for them.
Anyone who wants to synchronize their devices with fitness apps, take part in online courses, enjoy virtual “scenic drives”, listen to music or watch films, prefers a bike that can be easily synchronized with Bluetooth devices. These devices also include standalone heart rate monitors and headphones.
A console, a screen or a device holder
Some bikes have a built-in control panel for accessing virtual classes or entertainment programs, or for adjusting equipment settings.
Lots of people want to know and monitor various exercise metrics like heart rate, calories burned, speed, and cadence, and some bikes will track and save this information automatically.
Using stationary bikes is a great way for people to enjoy cardiovascular exercise from the comfort of their own home. However, there is some risk of injury with all exercise equipment. People can help prevent injury by:
- Checking the facility: It is important to properly place the bike, assemble it correctly, and adjust it to the correct height and angle.
- Start slowly: Gradually increasing the intensity, exertion and duration of the workout allows people to improve their fitness without exerting themselves too much.
- Balance training: Balancing cycling with strength training, core work, stretching, and other aerobic workouts can result in a well-rounded fitness.
The Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike belongs to the middle class of networked indoor bikes. People interested in indoor cycling have many options to choose from, including:
- Peloton bike: From the leading manufacturer of connected indoor bikes, this device features a 22-inch HD touchscreen, rear speakers, and access to thousands of live or streaming courses in a variety of disciplines.
- The MYX: This stationary bike has a 21.5-inch touchscreen, polar heart rate monitor and access to top-notch trainers and courses.
- ProForm Studio Bicycle Pro: One of the cheaper connected bikes on the market, this bike comes with a rotating screen and a 3 year iFit family membership. It also offers interactive workouts and courses where coaches can remotely control the bike’s resistance.
Indoor cycling offers people a convenient and effective way to exercise at home. The Echelon EX-3 Connect Bike is a professional indoor bike in studio quality that everyone can use according to their own schedule.
The bike has 32 different resistance levels and offers access to live and streaming training courses in multiple disciplines.
Bluetooth connectivity and a tablet holder can help customers who also have Echelon United membership make their workouts more interactive.
In terms of price, the Echelon EX-3 Connect is in the middle of the range of networked indoor bikes.