Are you suffering from neck discomfort and pain? You should consider doing neck pain relief exercises to ease discomfort and strengthen the neck joints.
Neck pain can be debilitating and can cause a slowdown in mobility and takes the mental health of people. It can affect other aspects of life , such as social and work and affects overall physical performance as well.
What is the cause of neck discomfort?
There are many causes for neck discomfort. The most common causes are:
- Muscle strains
- nerve compression
- worn joints
- Muscle stiffness
- Poor posture
- illnesses like meningitis, arthritis, and so on.
No matter if you’ve got an injury to your muscles in your neck due to bad posture or an injury and the neck pain relief exercises are an effective way to reduce discomfort and avoid it from happening again.
For neck pain relief exercises to try
If you’re trying to figure out how to ease neck pain, then look no further. Here are six of the best exercises for neck pain relief exercises you can practice anytime, including at work.
1) Head tilt
Head tilts are among the easiest exercises for neck pain relief exercises that gently stretch muscles and relieve discomfort. The exercise can be performed either standing or sitting based on your preference.
Head tilts to do:
- Sit or stand while keeping you spine straight and your neck in neutral. Keep your gaze straight ahead.
- Reduce your head, while pulling your chin to your chest. Keep the position for some minutes.
- Reposition the head back to the original position.
- Then, you can tilt your head upwards slowly, while pulling the edges of your skull toward your back.
- Take a few minutes to hold then release.
- Repeat the sequence five times.
2) Side bend
Side bends are one of the most efficient neck pain relief exercises and can be performed at any time, anyplace.
To do side bends:
- Make sure you stand tall with your spine and your head straight.
- Bring your arms up and then place your hands over your head.
- With your neck in a stable position and your neck straight, lean to your right side and then hold it for a few seconds.
- Slowly, slowly return to the center, maintaining your arms over your head.
- Do the exercises on your left.
3.) Shoulder roll
Rolls for the shoulders are one of the more popular exercises for neck pain relief exercises that not only relieve pain, but also ease tension and tightness, as well as strengthen joints.
To do shoulder rolls:
- Keep your feet straight and keep them at an arm’s width apart and place your arms at the sides.
- Slowly raise your shoulders toward your ears and then make an arc with your hands by your sides. Repeat this five times.
- Return to your starting position then continue the exercise with your arms forwards in the direction of a circle.
- Repeat the process a few times.
4.) Arm pull
Arm pulls are among the most efficient neck pain relief exercises that gently stretch the neck’s sides and ease stiffness.
To do arm pulls:
- Straighten your legs, keeping your feet at hip-width distance, and put your hands behind your waist.
- Secure your right wrist using the left side of your hand. With your left hand and pull your right hand in a straight, gentle motion back until it is able to move away from your body.
- To increase the intensity of the stretch to increase the stretch, lower your left ear toward your shoulders and keep the posture for several seconds.
- Switch sides and continue.
5.) Wall angel
The wall angel pose is among the most important and easy exercises for neck pain relief exercises that keep your shoulders at a comfortable level. They help pull shoulders back and improve posture. They also increase chest strength, and decrease tension and pain in the neck.
Wall angels to do:
- Sit tall with your back towards the wall. Step forward and then bend your knees a bit as you keep your feet in a the shoulder-width distance.
- Reach your arms towards the sides, and form a T-shape by placing your back of your forearms and elbows and your hands against the wall.
- Bend your elbows and then lift your arms over your head until your fingertips of your hands meet.
- Then lower the hands back to their original position, then continue the exercise.
6) Neck Retraction of Neck
The neck retractions are also referred as chin tucks are among the most effective neck pain relief exercises that counteract neck posture issues through focusing on the neck muscles that flex. This exercise helps improve slouched posture and strengthens neck muscles.
To do neck retractions:
- You can sit or stand and then place your finger on your cheek.
- As you press your finger, slowly pull your jaw back. Release the chin and return it to the center of your body, to repeat.
- When you do this do that, notice the stretch along the sides of your skull and neck.
While neck pain isn’t typically serious, the pain and discomfort that it causes can be a source of frustration. Doing the above exercises for neck pain relief exercises along with adequate rest will speed recovery and help prevent the pain from returning back.
Before beginning any exercise routine, you should consult with your doctor to find out whether or not they’re safe.
We understand how important it is to choose a chiropractor that is right for you. It is our belief that educating our patients is a very important part of the success we see in our offices.