Preparing a Bowl of Healthy Eating – Here Are Some Salad Preparation Tips | Photo credit: iStock Images
- Salads are versatile dishes that can be a great breakfast, lunch, or snack
- Making a good salad bowl is not that easy
- When making a salad, it is important to have a balanced mix of ingredients
New Delhi: Wherever health is a concern, the healthy benefits of lettuce are undeniable. As a versatile and filling meal, salads are often part of breakfast, snacks or lunch. Despite its recognized benefits, why is salad not people’s preferred meal? The answer lies in preparation. Taste and presentation are two important factors that make a dish appealing. As simple as making the salad may sound, it’s pretty easy to mess up the process and end up with a boring salad bowl. Choosing the right ingredients for the salad is just as important.
A good bowl of salad
The question remains, what makes a good salad bowl? Think of the bowl as a witch’s cauldron where all the exotic ingredients flow in, creating a perfect blend of taste, fitness and aesthetics. A good salad must have the following properties:
- Because of the diversity, it has to be colorful.
- It has to be a combination of textures like chewy, crispy, dry, wet and soft.
- There has to be a balance between temperature, sweetness and acidity.
- The ingredients have to complement each other.
- There must not be too much seasoning or serving.
Tips for preparing salad
Here are some ways you can make a healthy bowl of salad:
- Add proteins: Proteins are necessary for the body to grow and develop. When preparing your salad, don’t forget to add lean cuts of meat. It is recommended to use lean meats like chicken and turkey because it is low in fat and calories but high in protein.
- Mix your green: It is time to eat your greens and grant your elders’ wishes. Don’t let lettuce and broccoli overwhelm other vegetables, and add other green vegetables like spinach, peas, green beans, and cabbage to the salad for variety and flavor.
- Don’t omit healthy fats: Just like other nutrients, healthy fats are needed by the body and can help improve cholesterol levels and promote heart health. Add healthy sources of fat like avocados, nuts (like walnuts, pistachios, and almonds), and oily fish (like salmon) to your salad to improve taste and texture.
- Garnish with dried fruits and seeds: In addition to adding crispness and flavor to the salad, dried fruits and seeds can add a significant amount of antioxidants, fiber, and protein to your salad. You can add ingredients like raisins, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and dates.
- Be careful with dressings and spices: Don’t overdo it with the dressing and seasonings as this can create an imbalance in the flavors. Also, be careful when choosing your favorite dressing, as commercially made dressings can often contain an unhealthy amount of salt and sugar that can be harmful to health.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in this article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or nutritionist before starting any fitness program or changing your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, and other updates on Times Now