Neck exercises are among the most effective methods to relieve stiff necks and also work well for upper back discomfort too.
Stiffness and neck pain are two of the most commonly reported types of pain that could be experienced at any time, in any place. If it’s caused by sitting at a table or sleeping a bad posture the lower and neck back discomfort can hinder your daily activities and can cause serious health problems too.
It’s also crucial to know that osteoarthritis can be the most frequent cause of stiffness and neck pain.
The signs of neck discomfort
Some of the most prominent symptoms of neck pain are:
- Muscle tightness
- discomfort that becomes worse when you keep your body in the exact place for long periods of time like when using a laptop or while driving
- severe headache
- lower back and shoulder joint pain
- muscles spasms
- decreased mobility in the neck and shoulders.
Even though stiffness or neck pain isn’t always a significant health issue Certain neck exercises and stretching can help strengthen your neck muscles and more flexible. Additionally, the exercises for neck can help relieve any neck, upper back as well as shoulder pain, too.
Neck exercises that ease stiffness in neck muscles and the upper back
Try these neck muscles exercises to relax stiff necks, lessen discomfort, and increase flexibility:
1.) Neck roll
Neck rolls are among the most easy neck exercises that you can do any time, standing or sitting.
For this easy neck exercise:
- Stand or sit with the back straight and your head high. Then slowly tilt your head to the left until you feel a stretch in your neck and traps.
- Keep the stretch. Slowly roll your head around in a circular movement, then stop when you reach the right side of your shoulder.
- Perform the workout by moving your neck back to the left. Repeat the exercise several times per day.
2.) Tilt forward and backward
Another simple and effective neck exercise that will help to reduce upper and neck back discomfort. A back and forward tilt is also an excellent exercise for correcting the forward posture of your head.
This exercise is to be completed:
- Make sure you are sitting straight on the floor or in a chair and make sure your spine remains straight throughout your move.
- Then slowly lower your chin toward your chest. Hold the position for 30 seconds or longer If it does not feel uncomfortable or uncomfortable or.
- Then, lift your head back towards the beginning and then move your chin upwards to raise your head toward the ceiling.
- Maintain this position for couple of minutes, then return to the position you started from.
- Repeat the exercise several times throughout the day.
3) Overhead arm reach
It’s among the most effective exercises to relieve shoulder and neck discomfort and can be very beneficial for the upper back as well.
To do an overhead arm reach:
- You can sit in a chair and keep you feet entirely on the floor and your back straight.
- Slowly raise your left arm over your head, then try to reach towards the right. Be careful not to overstretch if suffer from intense discomfort.
- Your upper body should be bent to your left, then feel the stretching in your shoulder as well as the lat muscles.
- Return to the starting point then repeat the stretch five times.
- Switch sides and do the same exercise using your left arm.
4.) Shoulder roll
It’s a great neck exercise that help reduce the neck pain and stiffness, it also strengthens muscles, and assists in relieving shoulder pain.
To perform exercises for the shoulders:
- Sit or stand up with your head and neck in a neutral place.
- With your head and neck, raise your shoulders and then shrug them in a slouching motion.
- Begin to roll over your shoulders with a circular motion and then squeeze your shoulders while doing so.
- Repeat the process several times and then roll them back in the opposite direction.
5.) Seated twist
The seat twist is an excellent exercise that can help reduce the upper back as well as lower back pain.
To perform the exercise of seated twist:
- Relax on a chair, keeping the back straight and your head in a neutral place.
- Put your right hand onto your knee and gradually pull your shoulders to the left, while looking back at the back of the chair.
- Return to the middle then repeat the twist with your left hand resting on your right knee.
- Repeat the exercise several time in the opposite direction.
Also read: 5 Great Yoga Exercises You Can Do If You’ve Got a Tense neck
What is the best time to visit the doctor?
If the above neck exercises are not effective and your pain persists get medical attention right away.
You can also talk to your doctor if you experience neck pain is:
- is severe, or lasts for a long time
- The spreads out to the arms and legs
- can be accompanied by severe headaches, or muscle numbness
- result in the diminution of strength and mobility in hands and arms. This can lead to a loss of strength and mobility in the
While it’s impossible to stop neck stiffness or pain but there are some things to keep in mind to lessen the chance of suffering from the same.
They include maintaining a healthy posture while standing or sitting or sitting, sleeping on a quality pillow, not lifting heavy objects on your shoulders and having frequent breaks if you spend a lot of time at your desk.
Also, read 6 Iliopsoas Stretches that Work to improve posture
We understand how important it is to choose a chiropractor that is right for you. It is our belief that educating our patients is a very important part of the success we see in our offices.